While reading Margaret Wheatley’s lovely book turning to one another I ran across the six principles she has “learned to emphasize” before beginning a conversation:
- we acknowledge one another as equals
- we try to stay curious about each other
- we recognize that we need each other’s help to become better listeners
- we slow down so we have time to think and reflect
- we remember that conversation is the natural way human’s think together
- we expect it to be messy at times
Six principles of conversation. I’m especially taken by her third principle. We can’t listen by ourselves.