I’m happy to announce that a free 9,000 word update to my book Conferences That Work: Creating Events That People Love is now available!
Many improvements and refinements are included—the outcome of four years of feedback and experience since the book was published in 2009. Highlights include a long-awaited chapter on extending Conferences That Work to larger events, and important additions that make the established format (now tried and true for over twenty years!) even better.
Here’s a list of the contents:
- CHAPTER 1 Why did I write this supplement?
- CHAPTER 2 What’s included?
- CHAPTER 3 Acknowledgements
- CHAPTER 4 Avoid one-day peer conferences
- CHAPTER 5 Running Conferences That Work with more than 100 participants
- CHAPTER 6 Give people permission and opportunity to take a break!
- CHAPTER 7 Break up roundtables approximately every twenty minutes
- CHAPTER 8 Make peer session determination more efficient
- CHAPTER 9 Improve personal introspectives by running them in small groups
- CHAPTER 10 How to choose what to do at a group spective
- CHAPTER 11 Include a first-timers session for repeat events
- CHAPTER 12 Consider implementing a buddy system
- CHAPTER 13 Use shared Google Doc for roundtable themes and plus/delta sharing
- CHAPTER 14 Have people stand while speaking during the roundtable
- CHAPTER 15 Use alternate colors when recording on flip charts
- CHAPTER 16 Focused discussion = fishbowl — and an alternative format
- CHAPTER 17 Consider using a conference app instead of a face book
- CHAPTER 18 Consider running plus/delta with tape columns on the floor
- CHAPTER 19 Use plus/delta as a tool for action
- CHAPTER 20 Consider adding “Curious about?” column to plus/delta
- CHAPTER 21 Where to buy stiff 5 x 8 index cards
- CHAPTER 22 A closing note about appreciations
The supplement, provided as a free ebook <pdf>, will be updated from time to time and the latest version will always be available for free on this website. Comments and corrections are always welcome.
Happy reading and best wishes!